The cultural orientation intern will be in charge of administering cultural orientation (CO) assessments, scheduling clients for CO workshops, and following up with clients who are in need of additional cultural orientation.
Duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Keep track of newly arriving families and coordinate a time to meet with each family for a general cultural orientation and to schedule them for CO workshops
- Follow up with families who have been scheduled for CO Workshops to ensure they will attend and have transportation to the workshop
- Teach CO workshops as needed (Topics: Public transportation, Acculturation, US Laws & Rules, Women’s Health, Men’s Health, Tenant’s Rights & Responsibilities, Money Management)
- Develop new CO workshops that are needed for newly arriving populations (i.e. Syrians)
- Administer CO assessments to each person over the age of 16
- Grade each assessment and keep track of scores for each case member completing assessment
- Update case managers with the status of each families cultural orientation progress and whether more intensive follow up needs to be provided
- Update database with the workshops each client has attended and include this in the case notes for each case
• Bilingual preferred (Arabic, Farsi, French, Swahili)
• Experience in working with diverse populations and with individuals that speak little to no English
• Understanding of cultural differences
• Organized and proactive
• Skilled in computers, specifically Microsoft word and excel
HOW TO APPLY:
Send your resume to Joanna@alliance-for-africa.org along with a document answering the following questions:
1. What about your skill set makes you a good fit for the position you are applying for?
2. Why do you want to work with refugees?
3. What are three things you strongly believe in?
Maximum length to answer all three questions = ½ page.